In the wee hours of July 24, 2016 I will brave the waters of the mighty Hudson River for a mile-long swim before biking 25 miles along Manhattan’s West Side highway and then lacing up my running shoes for a 6.2 mile run through New York’s famed Central Park in the final stage of this iconic race. I will do all of this as quickly as possible while raising vital funds for one of Long Island’s oldest and best respected charities – Family and Children’s Association (FCA).
Serving our community for more than 130 years, Family & Children’s is dedicated to protecting and strengthening Long Island’s most vulnerable children, seniors, families, and communities. I proudly became the organization’s President/CEO in July, 2014 and was immediately struck by the comprehensive array of services offered by FCA along with the passion, intelligence and integrity of such a fine team. Among the services offered by FCA are the following:
- Nassau County’s only shelter for runaway/homeless youth.
- A transitional residence for young adults.
- Two licensed substance abuse treatment centers.
- A residence for homeless veterans
- A co-op nursery for moms in our substance abuse treatment program and recent immigrants.
- A mental health case management program for children and a respite program for their families.
- A full suite of senior citizen programs, including volunteer ombudspersons in nursing homes, bill payer services, case management services and more.
- Family counseling and mediation.
- Scholarships, vocational counseling, job training and placement.
- Case management for young people transitioning out of foster care.
FCA offers several other programs serving diverse populations, and all are laser-focused on strengthening individuals, families and communities. We offer one-stop shopping and immediate assistance for Long Island families, which means fewer barriers to care, lean and imaginative management and cost-effectiveness. In short, your donated dollar goes further at FCA.
I’ve taken on this challenge because I’ve seen first-hand how our staff at FCA change lives, how our volunteers pour their hearts and souls into making a difference and how a community coming together can achieve unbelievable things. Your support will propel me across the finish line on July 24th and provide a helping hand to your neighbors in need. I hope I can count on you!
Click here to help me reach my goal to raise $3,000 for FCA.